This summer, Sony made a big splash with its comprehensive PlayStation Showcase, taking us through a whirlwind of upcoming titles for PS5 and PSVR 2.
The event, running over an hour, was packed with exciting news and updates about what we can expect in the gaming world in the coming months and years. Let’s delve into the key revelations from this live-streamed event.
Among the slew of announcements, some games naturally stood out. Let’s take a closer look at these notable highlights:
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Remake
The much-anticipated remake of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater was officially unveiled, though actual gameplay footage is still under wraps. In addition, a remastered collection of the initial three Metal Gear Solid installments will be hitting the PS5 in the fall.
Assassin’s Creed Mirage
The first gameplay trailer for Assassin’s Creed Mirage was revealed, placing players in the heart of Baghdad as the character Basim. The official release date was confirmed as October 12, 2022.
Sony’s new ‘handheld’ controller, equipped with a display for streaming PS5 games via Remote Play with Wifi, was showcased by Jim Ryan. This device, currently dubbed Project Q, is set to launch in 2023.
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
This upcoming sequel to Marvel’s Spider-Man was showcased with around 12 minutes of gameplay, featuring Miles Morales swinging, flying, surfing, and battling enemies. Villains Venom Spider-Man and Craven the Hunter made appearances too. The release is set for Autumn 2023.
Alan Wake 2
Alan Wake’s much-awaited sequel was revealed with a new trailer and a release date of October 17, 2023. The gameplay showed that there would be a secondary playable character besides Alan Wake himself.
A Catalogue of Coming Attractions
The showcase wasn’t just limited to these blockbusters. Here’s a rundown of other game announcements that are worth your attention:
- The Talos Principle 2: Slated for a 2023 release.
- Sword of the Sea: From the creators of Journey, unveiled in a trailer.
- Cat Quest: Pirates of the Purribean, set for a 2024 release.
- Fairgames: Haven’s new action shooter from PlayStation Studios unveiled in a trailer.
- Helldivers 2: Set for a 2023 release on PC and PS5.
- Immortals of Aveum: Showcased a new gameplay trailer.
- Ghostrunner 2: Coming to PS5 in 2023.
- Phantom Blade 0: A Soulslike for PS5 was announced.
- Foamstars: Square Enix’s battle royale is coming to PS4 and PS5.
- Plucky Squire: New trailer released, with a 2023 launch.
- Teardown: The destroy-anything block game is now available on PS5.
- Neva: From the makers of Gris, set for a 2024 release.
- Towers of Aghasba: Slated for a 2024 release.
- Arizona Sunshine 2: Coming to PSVR 2 in 2023.
- Crossfire Sierra Squad: Showcased a PSVR 2 trailer.
- Synapse: Coming to PSVR 2 on July 4th.
- Final Fantasy 16: A new trailer was shown.
- Revenant Hill: Announced for PS5.
- Granblue Fantasy Relink: Coming to PS4/PS5 in Winter 2023.
- Street Fighter 6: Set for release on June 2, 2023.
- Ultros: The Metroidvania will be released in 2024.
- Tower of Fantasy: Showcased a new trailer.
- Dragons Dogma 2: Premiered its first gameplay trailer.
- The Gran Turismo movie: Premiered another trailer.
- Five Nights at Freddy’s Help Wanted 2: Due for release at the end of 2023.
- Resident Evil 4: Introduced a PSVR 2 mode.
- Beat Saber: Out now on PSVR 2.
- Marathon: Bungie’s game is reportedly getting a reboot.
- Destiny 2: The Final Shape: Showcase announced for August 22, 2023.
For those eager to revisit the action, the entire PlayStation Showcase has been re-uploaded to YouTube.
So, what did you make of Sony’s summer showcase this year? Which game caught your eye, and which ones did you miss? Let’s get the discussion going in the comments section!