Exciting news for Overwatch 2 fans! The game is expanding its hero roster with an intriguing new addition. Unlike the conventional Damage-Per-Second (DPS) characters, Illari is a support hero who channels the formidable power of the sun through a massive railgun.
Set to make her debut in the upcoming season 6 launch, Illari brings a unique twist to the world of support heroes. Hailing from Peru, this healer appears to be designed for potent damage output, reminiscent of characters like Zenyatta and Kiriko.
However, she carves her niche within Overwatch’s evolving definition of support roles—a fine balance between damage-dealing and healing capabilities.
Solar-Fueled Abilities Unveiled
Illari’s abilities, showcased in a recent trailer, offer an intriguing blend of offensive and supportive maneuvers:
- Beam of Solar Energy: Illari’s primary attack unleashes a concentrated beam of sun energy, dealing damage to foes.
- High Ground Leap: A nimble leap ability allows her to reach elevated positions, granting her tactical advantage.
- Healing Drone: Deploying a healing drone that adheres to surfaces, Illari contributes to her team’s well-being.
- Explosive Energy Ball: Her ultimate ability propels Illari into the air, enabling her to launch a powerful explosive energy sphere at adversaries.
While the healing drone appears to be her central healing tool, it’s likely she possesses another unshown ability—a potential secondary fire akin to Baptiste and Ana.
Season 6 Expansion and New Content
Accompanying Illari’s introduction, Overwatch 2’s sixth season, titled “Invasion,” boasts a myriad of additions:
- Co-op PvE Missions: The expansion includes three story-driven PvE missions, providing players with a cooperative challenge.
- King’s Row PvE Event Mission: Dive into a cooperative event mission set in the iconic King’s Row locale.
- Flashpoint Mode: Engage in a multi-capture point mode named Flashpoint.
- New Maps: Explore the Junk City and Suravasa maps, designed for the Flashpoint mode.
- Hero Mastery Missions: Sharpen your skills with select heroes through singleplayer mastery missions, arriving next month.
Annual Anniversary Event and Upcoming Balance Changes
Overwatch 2’s Anniversary event returns to coincide with the sequel’s launch anniversary. This event typically revives limited-time Arcade modes from previous events, adding to the celebration.
Additionally, game director Aaron Keller has teased forthcoming balance changes for season 6, including capping armor’s damage reduction at 50% and bolstering the survivability of Lifeweaver—a support hero from Season 4.
Mark your calendars: Overwatch 2’s sixth season launches this Thursday and aligns with its debut on Steam. Whether you’re eager to harness solar power or explore the new content, this update is sure to bring excitement and innovation to the Overwatch universe.