Microsoft’s recent acquisition of Activision Blizzard is already showing promising signs of success, particularly in terms of increasing interest in Xbox Game Pass among U.S. adults.
This insight comes from data gathered by CivicScience, a consumer analytics firm that conducted polls to understand the potential impact of this deal on Microsoft’s gaming services.
The data reveals a noticeable year-on-year increase in the number of people expressing interest in subscribing to Xbox Game Pass, especially with the inclusion of Activision Blizzard games in the near future.
In a survey conducted in 2023, 8% of respondents stated they are ‘very likely’ to subscribe to Xbox Game Pass, and an additional 9% said they are ‘somewhat likely’ to do so, bringing the total to 17% of potential new subscribers. This marks a significant increase from the 2022 survey results, where only 5% were ‘very likely’ and 7% were ‘somewhat likely’ to subscribe.
A Decline in Disinterest
Conversely, there has been a decrease in the number of people who are not at all likely to subscribe to the service, dropping from 88% in 2022 to 83% in 2023. This shift indicates a growing openness to the idea of subscribing to Xbox Game Pass, particularly with the anticipated addition of popular Activision Blizzard titles.
To further understand the potential impact of this acquisition, CivicScience also surveyed individuals who are not currently subscribed to Game Pass about their gaming habits. Among these respondents, 9% reported playing major Activision Blizzard titles such as Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, or Diablo at least once a week.
Additionally, Hearthstone and Overwatch garnered interest from 8% and 5% of the respondents, respectively. These findings suggest that there is a significant audience of regular Activision Blizzard gamers who could potentially be converted into Xbox Game Pass subscribers.
A Look at the Future
While it is still uncertain how these shifts in consumer interest will translate into actual earnings for Xbox, the data certainly paints an optimistic picture for the future of Xbox Game Pass. The inclusion of popular Activision Blizzard titles is poised to be a major draw for potential subscribers, and Microsoft’s strategy seems to be moving in the right direction.
In conclusion, Microsoft’s strategic acquisition of Activision Blizzard is showing early signs of success, with an increase in consumer interest in Xbox Game Pass and a potential new audience ready to be tapped into.
As the gaming world eagerly anticipates the integration of Activision Blizzard’s hit titles into Game Pass, Microsoft is well-positioned to capitalize on this newfound interest and expand its subscriber base.